Macromolecules in thin films
Films of thickness Angstroms to many nanometers can be prepared with various techniques. We use spin coating to produce polymer films and Langmuir-Blodgett technique to assemble mono- and multilayers on substrates. At present we investigate the internal structure of layers of amphiphilic macromolecules. The materials are synthetic amphiphiles of different molecular architecture.
Our main method of investigation is X-ray reflectivity. The result of such a measurement is the electron density profile on a line perpendicular to the film surface. Example: Phospholipid monolayer on a glass substrate. Red curve is a fit of the data with the model parameters as specified.
- R. Mutter and B. Stühn, Static and kinetic aspects of the ordering transition in thin films of diblock copolymers, Macromolecules, 28:5022, 1995
- R. Mutter and B. Stühn, Microphase separation transition and ordering kinetics in thin films of diblock copolymers, Colloid Polym. Sci., 273:653, 1995
- B. Heck, P. Arends, M. Ganter, J. Kressler and B. Stühn, Saxs and tem studies on poly(styrene)-block-poly(ethylene-co-but-lene)-block-poly(styrene) in bulk and at various interfaces, Macromolecules, 30:4559, 1997
- B. Stark, J. Scherble, M. Ganter, J. Kressler, B. Stühn and J. Lauter, Tem and neutron reflection studies on surfaces and interfaces with block copolymers, Macromol. Symp., 126:323-330, 1997
- J. Scherble, B. Stark, B. Stühn, J. Kressler et al, Comparison of Interfacial Width of Block Copolymers of d8-Poly(methylmethacrylate) with Various Poly(n-alkyl methacrylate)s and the Respective Homopolymer Pairs as Measured by Neutron Reflection, Macromolecules, 32 (6), 1859-1864 (1999)